Collections & Administrative Associate
Half-time position to be filled by July 5, 2022.
Job Type: Part-time (20 hours a week)
Compensation: $22.00-$25.00 per hour with opportunities for growth
At this time there are no benefits, but the Executive Director intends to make this position full-time in the coming year. Professional development opportunities considered (e.g. conferences, memberships etc.).
Schedule: On-site only. Majority of the work to be done during a M-F, weekend hours are sometimes needed. Hours worked may be flexible, but a consistent schedule is key. The ideal schedule would be Monday through Friday 9am to 1pm, matching the current hours for when grounds are open to the public. All public holidays are respected.
Proof of vaccination: Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and relevant booster shots required.
Flower Hill Foundation & Urban Homestead Museum History
The Flower Hill Foundation exists to honor the late Jane Smoot’s vision to celebrate
an Austin founding family of civil servants; preserve one of the city’s last historic homesteads; and empower, inspire, and engage the diverse Austin community of today and tomorrow.
The Foundation aims to provide Austin the same services and opportunities the Smoot family did throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries in the twenty-first. Wherefore, by maintaining a space for individualism, artistic expression, and civic engagement at the Flower Hill historic homestead museum, generations will have the chance to build and project their ®own future on a piece of Texas history through community, conservation, and the arts.
The Urban Homestead Museum opened in 2019 and is run by the Foundation. The Foundation hired its second Executive Director in its history in May 2022 with the intention to substantially grow and sustain the organization with a new, forward-thinking curatorial vision.
Flower Hill Urban Homestead Museum, a civic and creative-minded foundation, is seeking a Collections & Administrative Associate to join our team, contributing their background and expertise to the collections and interpretation direction of the Museum.
The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years collections experience with 1-2 years of experience in an administrative role including bookkeeping responsibilities (preferably within the arts/culture/museum/design industries) with additional accounting experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Assist Executive Director in the evolution of Flower Hill from a traditional historic house museum to an institution with a focus on contemporary art and interpretation in a historical setting
● Assist Executive Director in questions regarding the existing house museum collection, including accessioning and deaccessioning of existing objects
● Assist Executive Director with reinterpreting the grounds and house and collection as one cohesive museum/museum-like experience
● Engage with collections volunteers to learn current collections cataloging system, determine a plan of action for items not accessioned
● Curatorial work will be conducted in coordination with the Executive Director, for the right candidate, there may be growth opportunities in this area
● Answer incoming calls and emails
● Answer messages on social media platforms
● Manage and send emails through mailchimp
● Update and maintain donor spreadsheets
● Maintain office organization and filing systems
● Run office errands as needed
● Complete any other administrative duties as directed
● Responsible for the general bookkeeping for the museum
● Ensure the timely and accurate payment of all outstanding invoices
● Communicate with vendors to ensure appropriate documentation for all payments
● Create and maintain contract files
● Research invoice or purchase order issues as needed.
● Work with spreadsheets to provide information to management of ongoing
● 2-3 years of collections experience in a museum or museum-like setting
● 1-2 years of data entry or administrative experience
● Previous experience with Quickbooks
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to problem solve/ self-starter
● Outstanding organization skills, with solid attention to detail and critical thinking
● Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, PastPerfect software etc.)
● Knowledge of fundraising/grant writing skills/Little Green Light software a plus
● Collections: 2-3 years (Preferred)
● Administrative: 1-2 years (Preferred)
● Bookkeeping: 1-2 years (Preferred)
Flower Hill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
The Executive Director identifies as a member of the LGBT+ community.
The Museum is a member of AAM, AASLH, TAM and ICOM. The museum follows common, accepted practices in American museums and is looking to have a more international, outside-facing presence.
All legal accommodations will be made for anyone requiring special accommodations in the workplace in adherence with all federal and state workplace regulations. As of now, the position is located in the upstairs portion of an 1877 house, the original Flower Hill Homestead.
This individual must be able to lift 40lbs.
HOW TO APPLY:
All candidates should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Collections & Admin Associate - YOUR FULL NAME.” Letters should be addressed to Executive Director Daniel Ronan.
The ideal candidate would begin on Monday, June 6th. The Executive Director will conduct interviews via Zoom. Finalists will be invited to a personal interview and tour of Flower Hill.